What is Botox Made of?
Botulinum Toxin (Botox) is a drug and a toxin. It is a powder made from the bacteria Clostridium Botulinum.
Botox is a powder combined with saline solution
Many consumers know that Botox is injected in a watery solution. Most do not know that the product comes to the physician’s office as a white powder. This white powder is then mixed with saline solution to produce the watery product that is injected.
Is Botox poison?
Botox is a toxin like alcohol is a toxin. And, in the same way that many drugs can cause harm when misused, Botox can as well. While there has always been a natural fear of Botox because of its name, it has a better safety record than run-of-the-mill aspirin. Botox has never been definitively linked to a death and in the few lawsuits that have tried to prove it to be the cause; the product was used at high doses for medical benefit (muscles spasms) rather than the way it is used in the face.
Is it safe?
Absolutely. like may other drugs, Botox can be toxic when used incorrectly. It also has extremely desirable benefits and is very safe when used correctly. Botox Cosmetic is used in tiny doses compared to the amount that would be required to cause harm. In fact, medicinal uses of Botox such as for helping with the muscle spasms of cerebral palsy patients involve doses that can be 10, 20 or 40 times higher. These are still safe doses of Botox.
What Does Botox Look Like?
Botox is a white powder when it is delivered to our office in very small glass vials. The powder is mixed with saline solution so that it may be injected into the muscle. Once mixed with saline, the powder is no longer visible.
How do I know How Much Botox I am Getting?
It is virtually impossible to know whether your injector has put 10 or 20 units into the syringe(s) they are injecting you with. The relationship with your injector is based on trust and ultimately, if you are getting 3-4 months of duration from the product, they probably used the correct amount. If your Botox is wearing off after 2 months, then you are likely not getting enough units injected.